samedi 1 octobre 2011

Finally Starting to Hit Me

I’ve been on the verge of tears a lot lately. Not because I can be a sentimental drama queen. (Maybe it’s because I can be a sentimental drama queen.) Not because I won’t be able to keep up with Parenthood in Cameroon (Maybe it’s because I won’t be able to keep up with Parenthood in Cameroon) But mainly because I am trying to figure out the best way to say goodbye to my incredible friends and family by the end of the summer.

Imagining my life in Africa over the next two years is very bizarre. My new home will be in the beautiful country of Cameroon, where I will also have a host family (first 3 months), a routine, and some pretty damn compelling reasons to get out of bed in the morning. The smallest of details regarding my assignment have been spread like wildfire. My friends and family are actually proud of me. And I’m SO proud of them too- for landing first jobs, getting into law schools, med schools, graduate programs, etc. There is so much for all of us to look forward to, but I’m starting to make more of an effort to stay in the moment and enjoy Chicago’s small daily pleasures with the little time I have left here.

I am confident that while I am away many things will remain the same (such as my grandmother worrying about my nonexistent love life.) And no matter the distance, I will always be thinking about my friends, imagining what they’re doing, wondering how they’ve changed, and looking forward to our inevitable reunions. For now, the best way for me to say goodbye is to create two more months of great memories together. With that said, I gotta go. Lots to do. Like meet up JZwo, Magen, and the Sweeney sisters tonight at bar filled with “hot heating and cooling guys.” But I’m just going to screen the guys for Jessica and Shannon. I swear.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire